19 Jun THE PERIMETER PERSPECTIVE: GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS JUNE NEWSLETTER
Thank you for reading the first edition of The Perimeter Perspective; the Monthly Newsletter of your Greater Atlanta Home Builders Association’s Government Affairs Committee.
- The Atlanta Tree Ordinance Task Force has been actively engaged with the City of Atlanta over the past several months regarding the Tree Ordinance Protection rewrite.
- Last month, GAHBA members met with Atlanta officials including Project Manager Elizabeth Johnson, Arborist David Zaparanick, and Andrew Walter today to discuss the tree protection ordinance rewrite.
- Builder attendees included GAHBA Board Members Van Hardimon (Van Hardimon Homes), Todd Hager (Edward Andrews Homes), Stokely Weinberg (Stokesman Luxury Homes), and John Beach (Paces Construction). Associate member Carl Valenzano of The Erosion Company also participated.
- The city has asked for a follow-up meeting to continue our discussion, and that meeting will take place next week.This is part of our strategy to ensure that builders have a seat at the table for the rewrite.
- On June 6, the Forsyth County Commission concluded 18 months of work and voted to enact county-wide residential design standards.
- The new standards will go into effect county-wide on December 6, 2019, except for Commissioner District 4 where they will go into effect on July 11.
- As many of you know, the HBA, on your behalf, has been involved in this process from the beginning and was able to delay and make substantial changes to the standards before it was enacted.
- Additional changes could be made to window depth requirements, which currently limits the ability for builders to build urban farmhouses.
- We will continue to monitor this situation and be involved as the County takes up the newly proposed SE Forsyth Design Standards, tree ordinance, and mass grading ordinance.
Builders Best Practices:
- We are always looking for ways to better serve our members. In that spirit, we have created a new section of our Government Affairs website called “Builders Best Practices.”
- The Builders Best Practices will be a clearinghouse of information for builders to learn best practices for operating in the Greater Atlanta Area. For example, you can find information about the recently passed private plan review legislation and the best way to ensure you can water meter promptly.
- This will be a living document and will be updated as often as we have new information. This is where you come in. If you have a best practice you want to share with the association, please let me know, and we will get it added.
The next GAC meeting will be on Tuesday, July 16 at the GAHBA offices in Dunwoody. We encourage all members, big or small, builder or associate, who are looking to get more involved to attend!
As always, if you see something, say something.