15 May THE PERIMETER PERSPECTIVE: GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS MAY NEWSLETTER
Thank you for reading the first edition of The Perimeter Perspective; the Monthly Newsletter of your Greater Atlanta Home Builders Association’s Government Affairs Committee.
- Members of the Atlanta Tree Ordinance Task Force will be meeting with the City of Atlanta to discuss the rewriting the Tree Protection Ordinance
- This is part of our strategy to ensure that builders have a seat at the table for the rewrite.
- The City of Atlanta Watershed Department is experiencing delays with installing water meters in the southern part of the Fulton County.
- We are coordinating meetings with the Department to try and resolve this issue.
- The County is beginning the process to update its tree ordinance within the coming months.
- We will be monitoring this process to ensure builders concerns are taken into account.
- The Planning Department plans to hire 25 new positions and restructure to better serve the development industry.
- The additional hires coupled with decreasing permit revenue could lead the county to raise permit fees.
- At a special called session, the Board of Commissioners agreed to all or parts of 13 of 18 requested modifications from our builders.
- Of particular note, the land development sections of the proposed design standards were removed and will be addressed when the County writes their Tree/Storm Water Ordinance in the coming months.
- I want to express my gratitude to our members, the Forsyth County Board of Commissioners, and county staff for working so tirelessly on this issue.
- The Commission will hold another public hearing regarding the proposed design standards matter on June 6th.
- Private Plan Review & Inspections Reform
- HB 493 has been signed into law!
- HBAG supported legislation which will shorten the time allowed for a plan review to 30 days. If the local staff cannot provide the service within the 30-day window, an applicant is only responsible for 50% of the fee before engaging a private provider.
The next GAC meeting will be on Tuesday, June 18th at the GAHBA offices in Dunwoody. We encourage all members, big or small, builder or associate, who are looking to get more involved to attend. If you are interested in getting involved with the Greater Atlanta HBA Government Affairs Committee, please contact Government Affairs Director, Stephen Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org
As always, if you see something, say something